LEED Gold rating, earning 44 out of 69 possible points...
The LEED process ensured numerous green building and design elements went into the construction of Weill Hall. Completed in 2008, Weill Hall is part of the largest life sciences research and education complex in New York State. Read the final USGBC review report (pdf).
How is "Green” measured?
A point system (maximum of 69) is used.
The USGBC (U.S. Green Building Council) awards points in 5 main categories:
- Sustainable Sites
- Water Efficiency
- Materials / Resources
- Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ)
A project can earn additional points for innovative approaches and by having a LEED accredited professional part of the project Team. What are the Possible Ratings?
- Certified: 26 - 32 points
- Silver: 33 - 38 points
- Gold: 39 - 51 points
- Platinum: 52 - 69 points
How Does Weill Hall Stack Up?
|Category||Possible Pts||Archived Pts|
|Weill Hall has earned 44 of the 69 possible points||69||44|
|Energy / Atmosphere||17||8|
|Materials / Resources||13||6|
|Indoor Environmental Quality||15||10|
|Innovation & Design||4||4|
- Subsurface stormwater storage and treatment systems protect Cascadilla Creek from runoff and contamination.
- Through the use of highly efficient fixtures and a greywater reclamation system, wastewater generation from the building has been decreased by over 40 percent.
Energy and Atmosphere
- The building uses over 40 percent less energy than a standard building. This results in a reduction of over 6,000 tons of greenhouse gas emissions per year!
Materials and Resources
- Over 65% of the waste materials produced during construction were recycled or reclaimed. Over 60% of the wood products installed in the building come from forests certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.
Indoor Environmental Quality
- All paints, sealants, adhesives, and carpets used on the project have a low VOC content. This protects occupants from harmful chemical offgassing.
- Gross Square Footage: 263,000 SF
- Total Property Area: 3.6 Acres
- Building Footprint: 47,915 SF
- Public Open Space Area: 50,089 SF
- Parking Spaces Created: 0
- Number of Public Bus Lines: 5
- Bike Spaces Provided: 30
Weill Team includes:
- Architect: Richard Meier and Partners, Architects, LLP
- Construction Manager: Skanska USA Building, Inc.
- Structural Engineer: Ove Arup & Partners
- Mechanical Engineer: Bard, Rao + Athanas, Consulting Engineers, Inc.
- Laboratory and Vivarium Planner: GPR Planners Collaborative, Inc.
- Landscape Architect: Olin Partnership
- Civil Engineer: GIE-Niagara Engineering Inc.
- Green Building Consultant: Steven Winter Associates, Inc.
LEED®, and its related logo, is a trademark owned by the U.S. Green Building Council® and is used with permission.