Ithaca Sustainability Center Seeks Student Summer Volunteers
Get involved in the local sustainability movement - help operate the Sustainability Center gallery and provide support for programs and events...comments share
Volunteers will be the face of The Sustainability Center during hours of operation - greeting visitors and guiding them through the Center's resources. They will also transition the space between exhibit hours and special events. Depending on skill sets and interest, volunteers may also coordinate and implement special events.
The Sustainability Center provides a physical space in the center of the community to showcase and promote sustainability efforts across Tompkins County. Through its gallery, events and internship program, the Center engages residents, tourists and students in the work of local non-profits, green businesses, government agencies, educational institutions and community members, and – collaboratively – compels the community to action on issues important to us all.
The Sustainability Center's gallery is open Thursdays and Saturdays between 2-6pm, as well as other hours for special events. We're located at 111 N. Albany St., Ithaca.
Volunteer Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet and interact with visitors of The Sustainability Center
- Guide visitors through educational exhibits and the Center’s resources
- Provide tours to visiting groups
- Research and become familiar with local sustainability organizations, businesses and happenings to convey information to visitors
- Assist with day-to-day operations of the Center (ie: set-up and take down equipment and furniture, transition the Center from daytime tours to nighttime speaking engagements or events; document #s of visitors, time of day, use of Center’s resources; handle cash donations and document accordingly)
- Provide support to staff, speakers and/or organizations participating in Center activities
- Must be reliable and responsible
- Customer service; experience and comfort interacting with the public
- Knowledge of and/or willingness to learn about local community’s sustainability efforts to convey information to Center visitors
- Experience providing outreach or education in a community setting
- Self-starter, able to work independently, attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team player, able to work collaboratively
- Highly energetic and enthusiastic
- Demonstrated passion and commitment to sustainability
Minimum: 5-10 hours per month for at least 4 months
To apply: please submit a letter describing experience and reasons for pursuing this volunteer role to Jackie Mouillesseaux-Grube, Director, at email@example.com. Questions, please call Jackie at: (607) 227-7329
Views expressed in News posts may not be those of Cornell University. No endorsement is implied.