Apply to be a Spring Fellow in DC with the Climate Action Lab!
SustainUS is recruiting Spring Fellows for a new national initiative...comments share
SustainUS is recruiting Spring Fellows for a new national initiative, Climate Action Lab. The idea is simple: get a bunch of smart climate activists together and let them take it from there. You’ll live in DC in a house with other activists, campaign for strong EPA carbon standards, and develop the Climate Action Lab for nationwide expansion. SustainUS is dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive team, and welcomes applicants from all backgrounds and experiences.
What We Offer
- A chance to slash US emissions and build the political will needed for global climate action
- An intensive, fast-paced environment to build skills and learn campaign development
- Housing and meals in a shared group house with other Fellows; modest travel and living stipends
- A safe and intentional space to live, work, and build an inclusive community
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Collaboratively design and run a campaign, including fieldwork, media, lobbying, and direct actions
- Facilitate a stronger, inclusive climate movement through outreach and coalition-building
- Manage data and campaign analytics to drive the initiative’s development
- Analyze and research policy options regarding the Clean Air Act 111(d) carbon regulations
- Develop the Climate Action Lab model for summer expansion (programming, recruitment, fundraising)
No specific education or work experience requirements.
- Commitment to social and environmental justice, and anti-oppressive principles
- Ability to work closely on collaborative teams
- Interest in cooperative living
- Ability to handle stressful situations and deal with conflict appropriately and constructively
- Flexibility to adjust to changing work schedule, responsibilities, and conditions
Desired Skills & Experience
We’re looking for candidates with at least one of the following skills.
- Community or campus organizing and/or leadership
- Organizing creative and effective direct actions
- Political or issue advocacy campaigning, including field work and volunteer management
- Communications: storytelling and/or traditional (“earned”) and social media
- Graphic design and video editing
- Campaign metrics and analytics; campaign platforms such as VAN, Salsa, or NationBuilder
- Entrepreneurial ventures, social startups, and innovative thinking
- Fundraising and grant writing
- Knowledge of regulatory processes, particularly in environmental rulemaking
- Other skills not listed here
Program Info Dates: Mar. 3 - May 25, 2014 (45 hrs/week; potential for a three-month extension) Location: Washington, DC
How to Apply Applicants should fill out the Spring Fellow Application. Strong candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please contact us at ClimateActionLab@SustainUS.org with any questions. Applications are due Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:59 PM EST. Selected applicants will be notified by Feb. 17.
Interested in Climate Action Lab but aren't available now? Don't despair! Climate Action Lab's Summer Fellows program will run from early June to mid-August and will be located around the nation. Please fill out our Summer Interest Form and we'll be in touch with the application soon!
SustainUS is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization of young people advancing sustainable development and youth empowerment in the United States. Through proactive education, research, and advocacy at the policy-making and grassroots levels, we are building a future in which all people recognize the inherent equity and interdependence of social, economic, and environmental sustainability. Find out more at SustainUS.org.
Views expressed in News posts may not be those of Cornell University. No endorsement is implied.